- Call upon competent authorities to look into the plight of the political prisoners and detainees particularly the criminalization of their political acts, and the bureaucracy in government that failed to immediately act on petitions such as parole, pardon and clemency filed by prisoners;
- Review the present Board of Pardons and Parole guidelines 2006 Revised Manual of the Board of Pardons and Parole, Section 3, Extraordinary Circumstances, a) to consider the proposal to lower the age limit of those eligible for pardon from 70 to 60 and, b) to include prisoners who are “terminally ill and have debilitating diseases” for immediate executive clemency;
- Create a working group to examine, monitor, review and provide recommendations in relation to the ongoing cases of political offenders. Similar actions should be taken in dealing with pending appeals and applications for parole, pardon and clemency filed by political prisoners. The group should have unrestricted access to the prison system and its records;
- Provide “a general and unconditional amnesty” for the release of political prisoners and detainees;
- Provide a clear action plan of government to include human rights principles as basis for governance and development plan;
- Guarantee the respect of human rights and the fundamental freedoms in accordance with international human rights standards.
The 319 political prisoners and detainees nationwide need our support now. We are writing on behalf of all the victims of political incarceration and seek your kind support.
PLEASE SIGN PETITION HERE!